5 Signs You Need a Hip Replacement
Hip damage can have a profound effect on one’s personal and professional life. The limitations and serious pain that stem from arthritis, bursitis, bone fractures, tendon injuries, and more can prevent people of all ages from living a happy and fulfilling life. While undergoing a hip replacement can be a major decision for anyone, it is often the only route to complete recovery.
Thanks to modern innovations and improved techniques, hip replacement patients are able to recover faster than ever and have even better results from their operation. However, knowing when it is time to undergo a hip replacement takes understanding on the behalf of both surgeon and patient. The more you know about the signs that you need a hip replacement, the more prepared you can be to seek out skilled medical help when the time is right.
Knowing Your Need for Hip Replacement
While only a skilled orthopaedic surgeon will be able to determine the extent of damage done to a patient’s hips, patients must first seek out a diagnosis to begin the process. As such, everyone should know the signs of serious hip damage that requires a replacement. The sooner you can seek out orthopaedic help, the better your chances are of avoiding devastating injuries. Symptoms of serious hip damage indicating a need for replacement include:
1. Dull Aching – If you are experiencing aching in the groin, thigh, buttock or knee without exertion, it may be a sign of serious hip damage.
2. Pain That Worsens with Activity – Physical exertion causing increased hip pain is a sign of damage.
3. Pain That Worsens Over Time – Should hip pain simply grow worse over time, it is a sign that hip injuries are simply not healing on their own.
4. Sleep Disruption – Serious hip damage may disrupt a person’s sleep, as nagging injuries can prevent sleep on one side of the body and cause excessive tossing and turning to cope with the pain.
5. Physical Limitations – If you are unable to perform everyday activities or work duties due to hip damage, only a replacement will be able to restore your previous physical capabilities.
If you have experienced any of these symptoms, it may mean that damage to your hip has progressed to the point where only replacement surgery can result in healing. The longer you wait, the worse the damage will become. A skilled orthopaedic surgeon will not only diagnose the extent of your condition, but will determine the exact procedures that are needed to return you to optimal health.
Getting Help from a Skilled Orthopaedic Surgeon
If you or a loved one has been injured or is suffering from cumulative damage to your joints and bones, you need the best help possible. Dr. Sonu Ahluwalia is a double board certified orthopaedic surgeon who has helped countless patients put an end to their pain and physical limitations. To learn more about how he can help you get on the road to recovery as quickly as possible, call 310.430.1310 or contact us online today to schedule an appointment.