The ankle joint is where the foot and leg come together in a combination of bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Because the ankle plays such an important role in the body, it is also prone to a variety of injuries. Ankle pain occurs most commonly on the inside, outside, and back of the joint. The severity of ankle pain can vary from mild to severe. While certain types of ankle pain can be easily treated at home, other types may require medical assessment and intervention.
To learn more about ankle pain and ankle pain treatment, contact Sonu Ahluwalia, MD, a leading orthopedic surgeon in Beverly Hills. You can also call us to set up an appointment at 310.651.7099.
Ankle Pain Symptoms
Because ankle pain can stem from a variety of causes, it can also cause a number of different symptoms. The specific type of symptoms a patient has can be valuable in helping a doctor identify the root cause of the pain. Some common complaints among patients with ankle pain include:
- Constant, dull pain
- Sharp pain
- Top of foot pain
- Side of ankle pain
- Back of ankle pain
Ankle Pain Causes
Symptoms of ankle pain can stem from a variety of causes. The most common among these include:
- Achilles Tendinitis – inflammation of the Achilles tendon, which connects the calf muscle to the heel bone. Patients with Achilles tendinitis often experience pain, swelling, and irritation in the back of the ankle.
- Achilles Tendon Rupture – also known as an Achilles tendon tear, this occurs when the tendon ruptures and separates, making it impossible for the tendon to perform its natural function.
- Bone Spurs – a growth that occurs on the bones of the ankle. These are often caused by stress or pressure on the bone over an extended period of time.
- Broken Bone – a fracture of one of the three bones that make up the ankle. These bones are the tibia, fibula, and talus. Broken bones can occur due to twisting, rotating, or rolling the ankle as well as sudden impact.
- Bursitis – an inflammation of the bursa, small sacs that cushion the tendons and bones. Common symptoms of bursitis include pain, limited mobility, redness, warmth, or swelling of the ankle.
- Gout – arthritis of the joint caused by too much uric acid in the blood. Common symptoms include burning, stiffness, and swelling of the ankle joint.
- Osteoarthritis – a degenerative disease in which the cartilage of the joints becomes worn out over time, resulting in inflammation, swelling, and pain due to bone rubbing on bone.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis – an autoimmune disease that causes the breakdown of cartilage in the ankle due to the body’s immune system attacking its own tissue.
- Sprain or Strain – among the most common injuries in which the ankle ligaments are stretched beyond their limits resulting in complete or partial tears.
- Stress Fracture – tiny cracks that occur in the bones of the ankle, often due to overuse.
Treatment for Ankle Pain
As an orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Ahluwalia is an expert in treating injury to the ankle joint. He specializes in broken ankle surgery. The procedure used to repair a broken ankle is called ankle fracture fixation. The first step toward successful broken ankle surgery is determining the exact nature of the fracture.
Most broken ankle injuries require surgery to heal properly. This surgery is performed under regional anesthesia thus avoiding the risks of general anesthesia. During the procedure, the bones of the ankle are put back in place then fixed in the correct position using surgical screws, rods, or plates, which hold and support the bones until they heal.
After the surgery, a patient’s ankle will likely be immobilized for a period of time. During this time, the patient will also receive medication such as painkillers, anti-inflammatory drugs, and antibiotics. Dr. Ahluwalia will also speak with each patient about his or her individual recovery plan.
Contact the Leading Ankle Surgeon in Los Angeles
Are you suffering from ankle pain, swelling, or other symptoms? You may need to see a specialist who can help you get the diagnosis you need to treat your ankle pain and get back on the road to healing. Dr. Sonu Ahluwalia is a leading expert in treating ankle pain due to ankle fractures. Don’t hesitate. Call us today or contact us online. We can help you get the answers to all your questions or to set up an appointment with Dr. Ahluwalia.