Most people will experience knee pain at some point in their lives. Whether due to injury or degenerative disease, knee pain is a common and sometimes crippling condition. It can strike all at once or develop gradually over a period of time. While knee pain is common in middle age, it can also occur in children and teens.
Because the knee is the largest joint in the body and it bears a significant amount of weight, it is especially prone to injury and pain. Fortunately, however, there are a number of procedures and treatments that can be used to reduce and eliminate knee pain. As a leading Beverly Hills orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Ahluwalia is an expert in treating knee pain. To find out more about Dr. Ahluwalia or to schedule an appointment, call us at 310.651.7099 today.
Knee Pain Causes
Of all the joints in the body, the knee is the largest. It connects the upper leg to the lower with a combination of bone, ligaments, tendons, and muscles. The bones of the knee are cushioned by two cartilage discs called meniscus, while the bone surfaces inside the knee are covered with a different kind of shock absorbing cartilage.
Damage to the knee can affect any one of these areas. The most common causes of knee pain include:
- Ligament, tendon, or meniscus injuries
- Mechanical problems
- Various types of arthritis
Common ligament, tendon, and meniscus injuries include ACL tears, meniscus tears, patellar tendinitis, and knee bursitis.
- ACL tears are injuries that affect the anterior cruciate ligament in the center of the knee. These are common among those who play sports that require cutting and jumping such as basketball, soccer, and football.
- Meniscus tears are tears that occur in the shock absorbing cartilage that rests between the shinbone and thighbone. Tears often happen due to twisting of the knee.
- Patellar tendinitis occurs when inflammation affects the tendons that attach muscle and bone in the knee. This is common among runners and athletes who do a lot of jumping
Mechanical problems are problems that occur in the body due to issues such as dislocation and cartilage or bone breaking off and inferring with the joint.
Arthritis is another common cause of knee problems. While there are a number of types of arthritis that can cause knee pain, the most common are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Osteoarthritis is a condition that occurs due to the natural process of aging. It causes the cartilage to deteriorate and the bones to rub together. It is most common in those who are older, obese, have previous injuries, or have a genetic predisposition to the disease.
- Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease that affects the joints and causes painful swelling. Autoimmune diseases occur when the body’s immune system attacks it’s own tissues.
Knee Pain Treatment
The type of treatment a patient undergoes for knee pain depends largely on the cause. Initially, most patients will undergo conservative treatment. This may include, medication, injections, and physical therapy. Medication and injections for knee pain are used to reduce inflammation and treat pain, while physical therapy is done to strengthen the knee joint.
In cases of severe knee pain, surgery may be required. Common surgeries to treat knee pain include:
- ACL Reconstruction Surgery – a minimally invasive procedure(arthroscopic assisted) done to reconstruct a damaged ACL using a graft
- Meniscus Surgery – a minimally invasive procedure(arthroscopic) done to treat a torn meniscus
- Total Knee Replacement – a minimally invasive procedure that removes the entire knee joint and replaces it with a prosthesis
- Unicondylar Knee Replacement – a procedure that replaces only the damaged part of the knee with a prosthetic device
- Femur Fracture Surgery – a surgery done to repair a broken thighbone
- Tibia Fracture Surgery – a surgery done to repair a broken shinbone
- Patella Fracture Surgery – a surgery done to repair a broken kneecap
Contact the Leading Beverly Hills Knee Surgeon
Are you suffering from pain, instability, or other problem due to an injured knee? Dr. Ahluwalia is one of the top orthopedic surgeons in Beverly Hills. He is an expert in knee surgery, including total knee replacement, partial knee replacement, and ACL reconstruction. You don’t have to live in pain any longer. Contact us today to learn more about knee surgery in Beverly Hills or set up your appointment.